Thursday, July 31, 2008

VERTIGO CRIME LINE Announced!!!

DC Comics says that under their Vertigo imprint, home of personal favorites like Y: The Last Man and Scalped, they will launch an off-shoot called Vertigo Crime.

Fuck yes.

Scottish crime writer Ian Rankin will be doing his first comic for the line, hopefully opening up the field for other crime novelists. Many of the current generation are already involved in comics, but doing work in series that they did not create (Victor Gischler, Duane Swierczynski, Charlie Huston). Hopefully Vertigo Crime will allow those mentioned and more to start up their own series. Years ago I heard Ken Bruen and Jason Starr were going to do an original comic together but I haven't heard about anything lately. Perhaps Vertigo Crime could carry their story...

For a guy who can only find two comics he likes out of the vast field of superhero boringness, Brubaker's Criminal and Aaron' Scalped, this is great news. I've always felt that comics were well-suited to noir and hopefully this will bring the medium new fans. Hell, maybe it will take comics in a whole new direction.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. It's all set to go down next year. Maybe now I don't have to look like such a jackass when The Source (http://www.sourcecandg.com/) doesn't have either of my books in.

1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.